4.11.2011

Adapting Means of Procrastination

I was talking to my mom the other day how my biggest downfall is my procrastination. While I'm organized (some say obsessively) and I have everything planned out, I'm always scrambling at the last minute to get everything together. Apparently, I've always been this way. I would like to say that I work better under pressure, and this and that other excuses procrastinators tell themselves to feed the denial. Either way, I finally rid myself of my bad procrastinating habit. I was on top of everything, and unbelievably, I was getting sleep consistently and daily. Both are rarities in college and life (really). Then what happened, you ask? Two words: Spring. Break. You've probably heard of it, maybe experienced it. It's that week long tease of a vacation smack dab in the middle of the spring. You're far enough in to be pulling out your hair due to building amounts of stress, but not far enough to actually start counting down until summer. This break took my productivity and ran away like a bandit. Now, I'm left with this useless shell of what used to be and have reverted back to my old, die-hard personality, which puts procrastination above all else. The proof is in the post. As opposed to using my valuable and rare free time studying or doing busy work x, assignment y, and essay z, I'm writing a post about my intense levels of procrastination. Fitting, no?

So it seems my mother was right all along. (She will be shocked to see I actually admitted this fact and cemented it into blog world.) My biggest downfall is my procrastination as my productivity comes in little bursts of energy. After the little burst is dissipated, procrastination returns like the arrival of a long-awaited king coming home to his kingdom. If the metaphor is a little over the top, I remind you that I warned you of my tendency for the overdramatic. As much as I enjoy the reign of procrastination, I would love to channel those little bursts of energy into a week-long event where I could just knock out the rest of the semester in one fowl sleepless swoop. Unlikely, but a girl can wish, right?

With that, I leave you with a quote from Lewis Carroll, "If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there." Off to accounting... I don't think there's a specific road for that...