4.06.2011

Going Through the Paces

I'm pretty sure I've mastered the art of time travel. 
I opened my eyes Sunday morning to an annoying frat boy clamoring down the hallway outside. (I'm positive a herd of elephants makes less noise.) I blinked. It's now Wednesday. What? Where did my week go? And how did the days mesh into one in my brain? It's official. I'm never blinking again. Headed to dinner with one of my best friends, I realized we ate together three nights in a row, and neither of us noticed that our evening patterns were repeating themselves. Stumble home from class, down time, more down time that leads into procrastination (all the while texting rapidly), dinner, Target (because who wants to studying for the impending doom that is Accounting 312), back to my apartment. Rocking out in my car with the windows down and Panic! At the Disco's new album, Vices and Virtues, blasting through my speakers, we found it oddly pathetic that neither of us could positively confirm the events of the previous days. It seems when I blinked I took everyone in my vicinity with me. Megan, too, had transported from Sunday to Wednesday. That giant jump knocked four days off our study time for the always-daunting, ominous accounting. Let the stress studying begin. 
Whenever accounting tests roll around, you walk into the business school to hoards of sophomores with frazzled hair, bloodshot eyes, and rumpled clothing. It's similar to facing an apocalypse every two or three weeks. The best is when accounting tests collide painfully with recruiting. Then add to the mix disgruntled kids decked from head-to-toe in business professional, which according to McCombs, is code for ridiculously uncomfortable. Let's also add that these tests last three hours long. THREE HOURS. Focusing on accounting for any given period of time longer than about 15 minutes is as painful as getting a route canal. Very honestly, I might actually prefer the route canal. I'm an MIS major; give me a computer and something to code, and I am the happiest girl in the world. On the other hand, give me a T-account and ask me to use present value and future value to determine the actual amount of an investment, and I will probably just turn around and walk quickly way. Either way, I have no choice, but to cram my skull full of knowledge I will hopefully forget immediately after the final. This, however, doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. Even the accounting majors dread these exams. We all suffer as one. Misery loves its company. As Alice once said, "It would be nice if things made sense for a change."Good luck to you all, and hopefully, it won't be off with our heads.